The Storer Family Bell

The Storer Family Bell
Our bell

Saturday, June 4, 2022

Conflict-Purple Heart-Walter Shaffner


Conflict
52 Ancestors in a year.

This week's writing challenge is Conflict.  I struggled with what to write and then I opened up a folder of old, ancient certificates.  Which led to getting them scanned, but there is not a large enough flatbed scanner in Billings for several of them.  They are old and fragile and the store refused to run them through a roller type scanner.  Smart Decision!  

But amongst the certificates was the one issued to my uncle, Walter F. Shaffner, (my father's brother) who was killed in World War II.  There must have been angels on my shoulder pushing me to look at the folder after I posted a picture on Facebook of his headstone at the Mountain View Cemetery in Dillon, MT.  Of course there are his original letters to his parents during the war and I am still looking for the last letter he wrote home.  I had the articles from the newspaper in his file, but I had to locate which paper!  




Walter F. Shaffner
1917-1944




One of the letters he wrote home during the war.
My grandmother, Della Kurtz Shaffner, had 3 sons in the South Pacific during World War II at the same time.  She kept all their letters.




Walter was killed October 1, 1944.






The Purple Heart letter & certificate






















Mountain View Cemetery
Dillon, MT









 

No comments:

Post a Comment