The Storer Family Bell

The Storer Family Bell
Our bell

Saturday, September 14, 2019

#37 Mistake I should have paid attention 52 Ancestors in a Year



#37 Mistake  52 Ancestors in a Year

A mistake not to listen, write down or pay attention.


My mother, Helen Lloyd Shaffner, was interested in her family history for as long as I can remember.  There was a trip to a cemetery in Oregon in an effort to find a headstone.  I vaguely remember, as I was young, but I do remember a hill, trees, grass and probably rolling my eyes at the thought of this stop.  I think my Dad probably led the way of “wasting time doing this" attitude.  


Helen Lloyd
She graduated from high school in 1942

1938



What I would give to know where and what she found in that cemetery.  If only she had taken pictures or written a story down.  So far I have not discovered those 2 pieces of information in her genealogy collection. 

It was normal that we went to Mom's hometown of Waitsburg, Washington for Memorial Day festivities, which included a class reunion.   We took flowers and toured the cemeteries and decorated graves including my great great grandparents.

Mom never called herself a genealogist. Nor did anyone else.  But she was.  I have files, pictures and scraps of paper written on them.  Mom created family group sheets.  I have duplicates of many of them.  She shared her information with others too.  My mother, Helen Lloyd Shaffner, inherited a collection from her great aunt, so those letters and scraps of paper are also included.  



One of the many Family Group Sheets in her collection.







Many of her family group sheets have notes written on the back






Mom also created scrapbooks.  I think the earliest one I have is 1930.  Many include newspaper clippings of obituaries or other family information.

Mom had paid attention to her grandparents and knew many stories.  She did write a few down, but I want more!  But I wish I had written her recollections down or recorded them.


What a mistake I made by not spending more time learning the family history!



Mom was most proud of her heritage, especially the ancestors who came across on the Oregon Trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment