The Storer Family Bell

The Storer Family Bell
Our bell

Friday, March 8, 2019

#9. #52 Ancestors--Courthouse

The challenge for #9 was Courthouse.  

Genealogy records are found in a courthouse; records like birth, death, marriage, and probate and land ownership records.  Any trip to a courthouse can be interesting or challenging.  The most helpful people to genealogists are those behind the counter of a county office.  They deserve kudos to the assistance they give to genealogists.  Often time’s genealogists don’t know the dates necessary for a record search and are grateful for the guidance and assistance of clerk.  But searching and asking for records takes some finesse and talents so I volunteered to drive 2 genealogists (who shall remain nameless) to a courthouse in Montana so I could learn from the best.  And what an experience I had!

Driving 100 miles to the courthouse was a piece of cake.  The rest of the day got much more interesting!  I am not sure the clerks were ready that morning for 2 knowledgeable genealogists who “knew the ropes”.  Armed with candy to sweeten the clerks, the search began.  With so many requests for different types of records, the clerk gave up and ushered us into the vault and turned us loose.  Those ladies had a list of what they wanted! Since I was the “go-fer”, I was delegated to go to another floor for marriage records.  The list overwhelmed the clerk and she was more concerned who was going to pay the $1.00 for each record.  I assured her; you pull them; they will pay! Back down the stairs I went and informed them of the cost.  As I recall, it may have been $10.00 for the marriage certificates found.

Meanwhile the ladies had discovered the ledger books.  I don’t recall what was in the books but they were huge.  By then the clerks realized these people know what they are doing so we were allowed to use the copy machine and copy the needed pages from the ledge books.  Sounds simple, right?  The books were huge and heavy.  It took the 3 of us to manhandle those books on the copy machine!

And as we were walking out the courthouse, the Superintendent of Schools office was discovered.  I may have been tired, but not those 2!  Sprinting into the office, they inquired of school records.  We were told to go to the basement!  And there in the dusty basement on shelves were disorganized school attendance books. 
My only find that day were school attendance records for my husband’s ancestors!  

I finally looked at my watch and panicked.  It was after 5 P.M.  I had visions of being locked in the courthouse for the night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment