The Storer Family Bell

The Storer Family Bell
Our bell

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Unusual Name-Gabel family-#3-#52Ancestors in 52 week

Unusual Name in the Gabel or Gable family

An unusual name; I pondered the choice and couldn’t think of any.  Seems the ancestors used fairly common names.  If not once, but the same name in several generations.  

But then I remembered a name change! 

In my previous blog I referred to the census of 1910, which recorded the Philip Gabel family (this family included my husband’s grandfather, Henry) living in Rock Creek Precinct in Jefferson County, Nebraska.  There were twins listed by the names of Ferdinand and Adolph.  The information fit the family, ages and other names.   But the twins in later years were known as Tom and Otto.  Quite a bit of difference.  This information was found in my early years of genealogy and I really don’t have any idea how to prove names were different.

One day while trolling the old newspaper sites, I was searching for information on the Gabel family in Montana.   Knowing that occasionally it helps to search other members of the family as a way to find information, I entered Tom Gabel.   Imagine my surprise when “hits” appeared with the stories of Tom Gable (he spelled his last name different) testifying and turning state witness in a cattle rustling trial in Forsyth, Montana in February of 1928!  Not just one article, but the trial was covered daily by the Billings Gazette.   It was quite a sensational trial.

Tom testified for the state about the altering of brands and moving the cattle.   Under cross-examination he declared “western stuff” is “hard work”. He admitted that he was christened Ferdinand but nicknamed for Tom Mix when in early youth he expressed admiration for the star of western movies.   Oh yes, I let out a scream…”I am right, I have the right family!”

When Tom married for the first time, he used Ferdinand Gabel for his name.  When he married for a second time, his name was Tom H and third marriage he used Tom Henry Gable.

No comments:

Post a Comment