The Storer Family Bell

The Storer Family Bell
Our bell

Friday, July 1, 2016

1821 Letter-to Thomas Lloyd

This original letter was in the family collection that I inherited.  It is from Robert and John Lloyd, sons of Thomas Lloyd.  It is 195 years old!

Thomas Lloyd is my 4th great grandfather and John is my 3rd great grandfather.

The letter gives several clues--Robert and John are sons of Thomas.
on 6 May 1821, Robert and John were located at the Anderson Store, North Carolina in Caswell County.  While Thomas in 1821 was in Grainger County, Tennessee.

The original letters have been digitized and were donated in 2015 to Fort Walla Walla Museum in Walla Walla, Washington.  They are in amazing condition.  When I got them, I put them in archival envelops.





On backside of paper which was folded to look an envelope:  Mr. Thomas Lloyd
                                                                                                                Grainger Co. Tennessee  Rutledge

Return address:  Anderson Store N.C.
                                6th  May
State of North Carolina   Caswell County  May 6, 1821

Dear father and mother with pleasure I take my pen in hand to write to you to inform you that I am well. Hoping my letter may find you all enjoying the same.  I have nothing particular to acquaint you with at present old neighboring and acquintences  generaly well.  MA  Maenecle haz returned and haz changed your money and I will send it to you if forward with opportunity.  MA Herndon haz collected afraid of your money and he put the rest of the notez in the hands of an officer.  I have received one letter and I would be very glad to hear from you all.  So I must conclude your loving Son until death.


Signed:  Robert Lloyd    and      John Lloyd




The envelope





The letter

No comments:

Post a Comment