The Storer Family Bell

The Storer Family Bell
Our bell

Friday, October 2, 2015

Meanwhile back at the farm, we are busy.  So the blog had to be a low priority!

Family recipes always interest me, and I have my mother's and grandmother's recipe boxes to go through!  Maybe if I am snowed in, I'll get around to that project.

Meanwhile I will share Della Kurtz Shaffner's Apple Dumpling recipe.

This is Grandpa Shaffner's handwriting, as he gave me the recipe!



I apparently added notes

Apple Dumplings:
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. lard
7/8 cup of sweet milk
1 tbsp. Cinnamon
2 tbsp. sugar
3 tart apples
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt.  Work this into butter and lard then make dough using the milk.  Roll into sheet 1/2 inch thick.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and then cover with chopped apples.  Roll up and cut into 12 slices.  Pour over 1/2 sauce and bake.




Sauce:
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup hot water
1/2 lemon sliced
Mix flour, sugar and salt.  Add butter & lemon & hot water.  Stir until well mixed, cook 3 minutes pour over raw dumpling.  (save the remainder to pour over the dumplings before serving)

I also have the recipe from Stella Shaffner.  (She probably gave it to me when I got married!)
Stella wrote that when she and George (Della's son) were first married, he asked her to make apple dumplings, but she could never make them to his liking.  She finally got his mother's recipe.  Stella said she asked Bob Latimer and other family members if this was a family recipe, but no one knew.  She wrote that possibly someone else out of the family gave it to her or she made it up or she found it in a magazine.

Hope you make the recipe! Let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment